News

Colby Covington Has Title Shot Option For UFC 233

On Monday, Colby “Chaos” Covington made an appearance on The MMA Hour to speak about what he wants next. The controversial welterweight star made it clear that he has his sights firmly set on former training partner and current UFC Welterweight champion, Tyron Woodley. In June this year, Covington was victorious in a contest for the interim Welterweight title against UFC veteran Rafael Dos Anjos, making him the undisputed number one contender for a shot at Woodley. The fight has been put off for quite some time now, due to injuries to both men and the arrival of Kamaru Usman as a true contender for the belt, there is some doubt as to if or when the bout will go ahead.

Who deserves the next title shot at 170lbs?

Covington believes that he has the chance to headline UFC 233 on January 26 in Anaheim, California against “The Chosen One”, it would suit the UFC for the bout to go ahead on that date as the card is currently without a main event. Previously, Henry Cejudo was scheduled to defend his Flyweight title against current bantamweight champ TJ Dillashaw. However, the bout was moved to the headlining spot of the UFC’s debut on ESPN+ in Brooklyn on January 19. Host of The MMA Hour, Luke Thomas asked Covington about taking the opportunity to headline UFC 233 against Woodley, the Welterweight contender responded:

“As far as I’m concerned, yeah it is on the table. I would fight Tyron Woodley there, but I can’t speak the same for him. I know we don’t agree on a lot but we do agree on one thing; we are fighting each other next. He wants to punch me in the face, but that’s not gonna happen. These moves right here, he can’t punch me in the face, he’s not going to be able to touch me. That’s what it is.”

Covington had to turn down a bout against Woodley earlier in the year due to sinus surgery and a torn ligament in his foot. Now, Covington says he is “100 percent healthy”. The 30-year-old Covington stated that he would prefer a full training camp, given the fact that UFC 233 goes down in less than seven weeks, but he made it clear that he is more than happy to fight Woodley in Anaheim if the UFC want that fight to go ahead.

Colby Covington has angered many UFC fans with his comments with Brazil his public support of President Donald Trump.

Despite Covington’s own issues which rendered him unable to compete, he puts the blame on the champ for their bout not going ahead. He spoke in a similar fashion to UFC President Dana White, slating Tyron Woodley for being, in their opinions, inactive.

“What’s going on at welterweight is the same thing that’s been going on for the last year or two,” Covington said. “I’ve been waiting for the UFC to send me a contract with Tyron Woodley’s name on it and he’s not signing the contract. He’s been kind of ducking and waiting. He’s trying to pick his spots. He’s trying to go to TMZ and still have that title as champion, so he’s just trying to get these cameos over in Hollywood. He doesn’t want to fight, he’s not here to make the welterweight division great again like myself. That’s what’s going on, I’m waiting for him. We’re fighting next, I don’t care what it is.

“This fight has built itself the last two years — let me stop. I built this fight for the last two years. This fight sells itself, it’s the next fight, it doesn’t matter if me and Tyron Woodley fight in the UFC or we fight in a CVS, I’m fighting Tyron Woodley next.”

Covington told Luke Thomas that he believes Woodley has been cherry-picking his fights, with opponents and dates that suit him. He said:

“I don’t side with anybody, but I do know that Tyron Woodley doesn’t fight enough because after I fought, he hadn’t fought in a year, 13 months, that’s why they made the real belt, America’s belt. Then all of a sudden he wants to fight 14 months later, which is two months after my fight and he knew I had to get surgery so he was trying to get me when I wasn’t healthy.

 “He’s a pick-and-chooser. He wants to pick times, a lot of the fights that he’s fought in the past, Demian Maia, he got him on four weeks, five weeks training camp. He made him come in unhealthy. He’s a strategic player.”

Woodley defeated Maia by Unanimous Decision at UFC 214.

Following Kamaru Usman’s dominant victory over Rafael Dos Anjos, he called out Colby Covington, feeling that the pair should have a title eliminator bout. However, Covington was quick to dismiss any talk of taking anything other than a title shot.

“I’m waiting on Tyron. He’s on borrowed time. He’s the only person I’m fighting. I’m young, the best years are ahead of me. He’s old, he’s at the end of his career. I’m just getting started. I’ve just barely begun this journey, so as long as it takes to fight Tyron Woodley, we have unfinished business.”

Watch Colby’s full appearance on The MMA Hour below:

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top