ONE: A New Era debuted in Tokyo and the eagerly awaited card lived up to every expectation! Two champions retained their titles, whilst the other two fell and a shocking upset debut gave us plenty of action to watch.
In the main event, Eduard Folayang faced Japanese legend Shinya Aoki to defend his Lightweight title. In the rematch which originally saw Aoki beat, the tables were turned in this bout. Shinya Aoki secured a takedown and easily locked in the arm triangle to regain his title.
Xiong Jing Nan defeated Angela Lee, also regaining her title via TKO. A vicious body shot on the tired Lee set up a combination of punches to finish the fight in the fifth round.
Aung La N Sang retained his title after beating Ken Hasegawa via TKO, prompting ONE heavyweight champion Brandon Vera to challenge him in the cage afterwards. Bibiano Fernandes also retained his title after a DQ victory which saw Belingon elbow Fernandes to the back of the head.
Making their ONE debuts we’re ex UFC stars Eddie Alvarez and Demetrious Johnson. Competing in their respective GP matches, both were welcomed with entirely different paths. Johnson had an exciting fight with Wakamatsu choking him out in the second round, whilst Alvarez was finished by Timofey Nastyukhin in the first round.
You can see the full list of results from ONE: A New Era below:
- Shinya Aoki def. (c) Eduard Folayang via submission (arm triangle choke) R1 – ONE Lightweight Championship
- (c) Xiong Jing Nan def. Angela Lee via TKO (strikes) R5 – ONE Women’s Strawweight Championship
- (c) Aung La Nsang def. Ken Hasegawa via TKO (strikes) R2 – ONE Middleweight Championship
- Bibiano Fernandes def. (c) Kevin Belingon via DQ – ONE Bantamweight Championship
- Demetrious Johnson def. Yuya Wakamatsu – via submission (guillotine) – Flyweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal
- Timofey Nastyukhin def. Eddie Alvarez via TKO (strikes) – Lightweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal
- Yodsanklai Iwe Fairtex def. Andy Souwer – via (punch) R2 (Kickboxing)
- Danny Kingad vs. Senzo Ikeda – via unanimous decision – Flyweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal
- Kairat Akhmetov def. Reece McLaren – via unanimous decision – Flyweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal
- Rodtang Jitmuangnon def. Hakim Hamech via split decision (Muay Thai)
- Joseph Lasiri def. Hiroki Akimoto via majority decision
- Mei Yamaguchi def. Kseniya Lachkova via submission (armbar) at 3:18 of R3
- Garry Tonon def. Anthony Engelen via TKO (strikes) at 4:12 of R1
- Panicos Yusuf def. Mohammed Bin Mahmoud – via unanimous decision (Muay Thai)
- Yoon Chang Min def. Bala Shetty via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:16 of R1