Earlier this week, it was reported that No. 7 ranked welterweight Santiago Ponzinibbio had to pull out of his fight with Robbie Lawler at UFC 245.
Mike Perry hopes to be the one to fill that spot. Speaking backstage at UFC on ESPN+19, Perry explained his urge to fight the former welterweight champion come December.
“If Robbie Lawler would grace me with his name on a contract, let’s go bro,” he said. “Let’s put on a show. We’re going to put on a show. None of that wrestling sh*t.”
Perry is coming off a controversial split-decision loss to Vicente Luque back in August, where he badly broke his nose after a knee from Luque. Amid concerns that Perry might be stepping back into the cage too soon, Perry assured the media that his nose shouldn’t be an issue.
“It’s a little loud when I use it, but I don’t really use it too often,” Perry said. “I just hold my breath and swing real hard, and they usually disperse… So we’ll see. I’m good though. I’m ready to fight.”
Perry, himself has been getting called out by various UFC welterweights, including Niko Price, who is coming off a vicious first-round knockout victory against James Vick this past weekend. Despite getting into a verbal altercation with Price and one of his corner men after the fight on Saturday, Perry said he’s still gunning for the Lawler fight.
“I’ve just been calling [Lawler] out,” said Perry. “People call me out. You just can’t accept every fight offer from everybody. I bet a lot of people in this arena would fight me today. They think they would have a chance, but I could probably fight ten of them at one time.”
Lawler has yet to respond to Perry’s callout, and only time will tell what the UFC brass decide to do with the former champion. Perry will have to get medical clearance before he takes a fight with anyone due to the severity his broken nose in August.
What do you think? Will Perry’s nose hold up in a potential fight with Lawler? Or will Niko Price and Mike Perry settle their beef in the octagon? Let us know in the comments!